Position: Adult Education Coordinator
Award: Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) Enterprise Agreement
Hours: 20 hours per week. Includes some Saturday work (paid at penalty rates). Note that teaching on Permaculture courses and workshops is renumerated separately to these hours.
Salary: NSCF Enterprise Agreement Level 3, $27.29/hr, plus entitlements (e.g., leave, super) as defined in the NSCF Enterprise Agreement.
Contract Position: Permanent Part-time
Responsible to: Education & Farming Manager
Work Location: Northey Street City Farm, Windsor, Brisbane.
The Adult Education Coordinator should be a passionate educator with excellent communication and people management skills. They will have a thorough understanding of Permaculture principles and practices, and the ability to develop these into engaging and profitable Education and Workshop Programs.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through practical, hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood-lot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Sunday Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide overall coordination of the Adult Education Program at NSCF to ensure the program meets NSCF’s values and goals. The program currently includes the “Sustainable Living Workshop Program”, the “Permaculture Education Program” and occasional external educational activities.
- Assist with preparation and monitoring of the Adult Education Program budget, process payments and recommend new education programs and projects (including grant opportunities) to the Education & Farming Manager.
- Develop and implement new adult education activities at NSCF.
- Ensure course and student records are maintained.
- Work with the Education & Farming Manager to manage staffing for the Adult Education Program, including recruitment, induction, conflict resolution, timetabling and training.
- Arrange and facilitate Adult Education Program meetings with teachers as required, and support them to deliver enjoyable, interesting and informative Permaculture education experiences.
- Support Adult Education Program participants as appropriate.
- Work with the Education & Farming Manager to develop and distribute promotional material about the Education Program at various events, both on and off site.
- Work with the Promotions and Administration Co-ordinator to maintain the education pages on the NSCF website and promote the program on social media.
- Attend Education and Farming Group meetings as required and report to Education & Farming Manager monthly.
- Liaise with the other teams about requirements for particular courses and workshops.
- Supervise the volunteer librarian to operate the NSCF Education Library.
- Liaise externally with educational institutions and interested organisations to promote and develop the NSCF Education Program.
- Qualifications: Permaculture Design Certificate
- Teaching and facilitation experience
- Project organising experience, including formulating & monitoring budgets
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A current Queensland “Blue Card” (Working with Children Check) or a willingness to obtain one.
- Experience in supervising staff or volunteers
- Experience in program development
- Experience working in community organisations
- Permaculture design, implementation and gardening experience
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees
- Applications are due by 4pm Wednesday 14 June 2023
- Proposed start is late June 2023
- For further information, please contact Emma Brindal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people are encouraged to apply.