Are you a passionate educator with excellent communication and people management skills? Do have a good understanding of Permaculture principles and practices, and the ability to develop these into engaging and profitable educational programs?
Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Youth Education Coordinator
Award: NSCF Staff Agreement – permanent part time
Hours: 20 hours per week with additional hours as required
Salary: NSCF Staff Agreement Level 3 ($26.89 per hour, plus entitlements which include superannuation, annual leave, and personal leave) as defined in the NSCF Staff Agreement (Note – additional teaching hours will be remunerated separately).
Responsible to: Education & Farming Manager
Work Location: Northey Street City Farm, Windsor, Brisbane.
The Youth Education Coordinator should be a passionate educator with excellent communication and people management skills. They will have a good understanding of Permaculture principles and practices, and the ability to develop these into engaging and profitable educational programs.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through practical, hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site on 2ha, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and woodlot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Sunday Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide overall coordination of the Youth Education Program at NSCF to ensure the program meets NSCF’s values and goals. The program includes the Earth Kids holiday and homeschool programs; School visits; Group Tours; Professional Development workshops for Teachers; and other educational activities.
- Assist with preparation and monitoring of the Youth Education Program budget, process payments, and recommend new education programs and projects (including grant opportunities) to the Education & Farming Manager.
- Develop and implement new education activities for children and young people at NSCF.
- Ensure course and student records are maintained.
- Work with the Education & Farming Manager to manage staffing for the Youth Education Program, including recruitment, induction, conflict resolution, timetabling and training.
- Ensure that all staff working with young people hold a current Queensland ‘Blue card’ for working with children and maintain an up-to-date register of people holding Blue Cards.
- Arrange and facilitate Youth Education Program meetings with youth education staff as required, and support them to deliver enjoyable, interesting, and informative education experiences.
- Support Youth Education Program participants as appropriate.
- Lead education activities as required.
- Work with the Enterprise & Support Manager to develop and distribute promotional material about the Education Program at various events, both on and off site.
- Work with the Promotions & Administration Co-ordinator to maintain the education pages on the NSCF website and promote the program on social media.
- Attend Education Team meetings as required and report to the Education & Farming Manager monthly.
- Liaise with the other teams about requirements for courses and workshops.
- Liaise externally with educational institutions and interested organisations to promote and develop the NSCF Education Program.
- Teaching or facilitation experience in programs for children and /or youth, particularly in outdoor learning or sustainability education.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Project organising experience, including formulating & monitoring budgets.
- Permaculture Design Certificate or willingness to acquire one.
- A current Queensland “Blue Card” (Working with Children Check) or a willingness to obtain one.
- Current First Aid qualifications, including anaphylaxis management and emergency asthma management training, or willingness to acquire these.
- Experience in curriculum development,
- Experience in supervising staff or volunteers
- Experience working in community organisations
- Permaculture design and implementation, and/or organic gardening experience
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. Northey Street City Farm is proactively building meaningful relationships and programs with First Nations people in all its activities.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria individually (max. 100 words each).
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees.
- Applications are due close of business Wednesday 1 March 2023
- Proposed start date is mid – March 2023.
- For further info, please contact Emma Brindal: email@example.com.
- Please submit application electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030.