Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Enterprise & Support Manager
Hours: 30 hours per week (including occasional Sundays)
Pay rate: NSCF Enterprise Agreement Manager Level, $30.00 per hour plus entitlements, which include superannuation, annual leave, personal leave, and training allowance.
Contract: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Management Committee
The Enterprise & Support Manager will have a strong history of managing staff and volunteers. The person will need a working knowledge of human resource management, promotions and public relations, and possess high level communication skills to interact effectively with people both internal and external to the organisation. This is an opportunity to use your skills, networks and experience to help us develop the Farm through growing new and existing social enterprises at the Farm, which align with our vision and goals and provide sources of revenue.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms – a Permaculture site on 2 Ha with established kitchen and market gardens, orchards, and woodlot, plus a nursery and Brisbane’s only Organic Farmers’ Market. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
The Enterprise Manager is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the development of the Farm’s enterprises and events while ensuring consistency with core NSCF Values and encouraging community support. The manager is also responsible for providing support services to the whole Farm, including fundraising and finance, administration, promotions, human resource management and external communications. The Enterprise and Support team currently includes the Markets Co-ordinator, Nursery Co-ordinator, Promotions and Administration Co-ordinator, Finance Co-ordinator and Events Coordinator, as well as Nursery Assistants, casual staff and volunteers.
The position is for 30 hrs/week, which must include Thursdays. Occasional weekend work is required (penalty rates paid). Timing of working hours can be flexible depending on Farm requirements.
• Manage staff and volunteers within the Enterprise and Support Team, including developing annual work plans and setting performance targets.
• Develop new and existing sources of income for the Farm, including from enterprises, site hire, partnerships, grants, and donations.
• Develop and coordinate the program of events and activities at the Farm and ensure that appropriate systems are in place for recording, monitoring, and evaluating them.
• Develop and coordinate communication, reporting, promotional and marketing strategies
• Coordinate staff recruitment, induction, orientation, and performance review processes for the whole Farm.
• Prepare and manage budgets and be accountable for NSCF financial systems.
• Assist the Management Committee in the development, enactment and review of key policy and planning documents to guide activities on the Farm through an appropriate consultation process.
• Meet with the other manager (Education and Farming) twice-monthly to ensure harmonious co-management of whole-of-farm issues.
• Report monthly, and be answerable, to the Management Committee, and participate in monthly Whole of Farm meetings.
• Management skills and experience, preferably in a social enterprise or small business, including planning, budgeting, financial management, team building, staff coordination, volunteer supervision, meeting facilitation and conflict resolution.
• Demonstrated success in fundraising and income generation in the not-for-profit or small business sectors.
• Experience in marketing and promotions, including social media.
• Willingness to have a criminal background check.
• Hold a Permaculture Design Course (PDC) or willingness to acquire one.
• Experience of working, or volunteering, in community or not for profit organisations.
• Knowledge of, and experience in, Permaculture or Horticulture.
• Experience in organising fund-raising activities and events.
• First Aid certificate or willingness to acquire one.
• Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
• Please also include a CV with at least two referees
• Applications are due 4pm Friday 27 January 2023.
• Proposed start date is mid – February 2023.
• For further info, please contact Ronni Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org,au.
Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
Hard copies may be sent to: Enterprise & Support Manager Application, Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
Phone: (07) 3857 8775 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.nscf.org.au