We are registered with, and report to the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission
Our ABN is 16 494 592 971
We are a proud member of Permaculture Australia.
Permaculture Australia is the national permaculture member-based association in Australia. Activities include providing small grants to permaculture projects internationally via Permafund and supporting Accredited Permaculture education. Join as a member to help advocate for permaculture solutions here.
Northey Street City Farm is located 5 minutes from the city centre, on a floodplain on the banks of Breakfast Creek in Windsor, Brisbane, Australia. We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land, the Turrbal & Jagera people.
The Farm was founded in 1994 by a group of local residents who wanted space to grow their own food while educating others in how to do it. From a bare site in 1994 it has transformed to a vibrant green oasis, welcoming thousands of visitors every year.
Our vision is ‘all living sustainably’ and we believe that the dominant way of life is unsustainable, but by practicing Permaculture we can create an environmentally, socially and economically just world.
Our purpose is to be an inspirational working model of a community-based urban permaculture farm which promotes and educates for sustainability.
Permaculture is a model for ‘consciously designed landscapes which mimic the patterns and relationships found in nature, while yielding an abundance of food, fibre and energy for provision of local needs’. Permaculture links practices of caring for the earth, caring for people and sharing resources surplus to need. Holmgren Design Services.
Our goals are:
- To provide a demonstration urban permaculture site
- To provide permaculture and sustainability education programs and learning opportunities
- To promote biodiversity and responsible use of natural resources.
- To model effective participatory and inclusive processes and organisational structures
- To provide services to the community through environmentally, socially and economically responsible enterprises
- To encourage community involvement in our activities
- To foster the growth of the Permaculture movement
- To include First Nations culture and knowledge in collaboration with First Nations people
Northey Street City Farm Inc. is an Incorporated Association overseen by an elected Management Committee.
The Farm’s activities are carried out by two Groups (Education & Farming and Enterprises & Support) made up of teams of staff and volunteers. The Education Team organises the education program; the Farm Team looks after all the plants and animals and on-site demonstrations; the Site Team does maintenance, services, safety and security; the Nursery Team and the Markets Team organise our social enterprises, while the Events Team organises NSCF events; and the Support Team supports the other teams with finance, administration, HR, marketing and external relations.NSCF 2023 Org Structure (1)
(right-click to download)