Pineapples are the fruit of a bromeliad with stiff spiny leaves. The can be grown from the ‘pineapple top’ or from slips which grow on existing plants. They can take around 2 years to develop a fruit so require a spot where they will not be disturbed. Pineapple is used fresh or dried in sweet and savory dishes. The pineapple skins can be boiled in water for 10 minutes to make a refreshing drink
Buy your fresh organic pineapples from the Organic Farmers Market when they’re in season.
- 450g of (chunky) blended pineapple
- 1.5 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup mashed (over ripe) bananas
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
Cream cheese frosting (optional)
- 50g butter (left at room temperature to soften)
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20 x 20 cm square baking tin (or 23 cm round baking tin), and line the base with baking paper.
- Using a fine sieve, drain the pineapple, setting aside 1/4 cup of juice.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, brown sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in the mashed bananas.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, and gradually add to mixture while stirring.
- Add coconut and then the pineapple and pineapple juice, and mix until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking tin and cook for approximately 1 hour, or until cooked (tested with a skewer).
- Leave cake to stand for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Cream cheese frosting: beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in icing sugar gradually, until smooth.
- Spread on top (and sides) of cake.
- Decorate with tropical flowers if desired.
Virgin Piña Colada/ Pinecoco Smoothie
Makes 2 drinks
- 1/3 of a 400ml can of coconut cream
- 1/2 a large pineapple, with skin removed and cut into large chunks
- Blend pineapple chunks until it is an even consistency.
- Add coconut cream and blend until mixed.
Malibu (or white rum) and ice can be added if desired.
Note: for this recipe an approximate ratio of 3 parts blended pineapple to 1 part coconut cream was used, but this can be adjusted according to personal taste.