Beetroot is closely related to silverbeet or chard, and is grown mainly for the swollen roots. It needs rich, acid soil and regular watering. Grown from late March to late November in the subtropics.
Beetroot is sweet in taste, typically a rich purple colour, but can also be white or golden. Both the beet and the leaves contain great nutritional value, and can be incorporated into ones many different ways. Beet leaves can be used in the same way as spinach leaves and added to salads, stir fries or casseroles.
Store cooked beets in the fridge or freezer.
- Aids healthy bowel function
- Assists in lowering cholesterol
- Improves heart health
- Increases brain function
- Aids healthy immune system
- Aids healthy skin and bones.
- Beetroot is high in, manganese, folate, potassium and vitamin C.
In a serving size (1/2 cup) of raw beetroot:
- Energy 133 kJ
- Protein 1.2 g
- Fat 0.1 g
- Carbs 7.2 g
- Fiber 2.1 g
- 1 medium beetroot, boiled
- 10 g feta cheese
- ½cup roasted pumpkin
- handful of walnuts
- ½ cup spinach and/or chopped beet leaves
- 1 Tbs parsley
- Prepare beetroot by cutting off stems, cleaning & boiling for 30 minutes or until soft throughout, then peel and cut into cubes.
- Cut pumpkin into cubes and roast in oven for around 25 minutes on 180C.
- Combine all ingredients together and serve!
Quick and easy recipe!
- 5 beetroots
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp of cumin, coriander, cinnamon, paprika, pine nuts
- pistachios and feta cheese for garnish
- Prepare beetroot by cutting off stems, cleaning and boiling for 30 minutes or until soft throughout, OR roast in the oven for 1 hour
- Place the beets, garlic, yoghurt, lemon juice, olive oil and spices in a food processor and process till smooth and creamy
- Serve with fresh carrot/celery or other veggie sticks and enjoy!
Borscht style Beetroot Soup
From Skaidra Craig in NSCF Share Cookbook p15
- 2l rich stock
- 2 large beetroot, peeled and julienned
- 500g cabbage, green or white, shredded
- 1 medium red capsicum, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Sour cream, fresh dill for serving
- Lime juice (optional)
- Bring stock to the boil. Add beetroot and cook on a gentle heat for 10min.
- Add all other vegetables except the cabbage, simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Add shredded cabbage and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve with a generous dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of fresh dill.
- Variation: add a squeeze of lime juice (to taste) just before serving.