Do you have a proven strong background in practical Permaculture and organic fruit and vegetable farming in the sub tropics? Have you previously managed a team of people and day to day farm operations?
Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Farming & Site Team Manager
Hours: 24 hours per week
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Level 4, $29.56/hr, plus entitlements
Contract Position: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Management Committee
The Farming & Site Team Manager should have a proven strong background in practical Permaculture and organic fruit and vegetable farming in the sub tropics, preferably having previously managed a team of people to develop a market garden or orchards. They should have demonstrable experience in both managing day-to-day farm operations as well as driving medium-term strategic and commercial directions.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site on 2 ha, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood lot, plus Brisbane’s only certified Organic Farmers Market and retail Nursery. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
The Farming and Site Manager’s role is to oversee and coordinate the Farming and Site team, which is responsible for the management of all gardens, orchards, bush revegetation, other open areas and animal systems, and also for the maintenance of all buildings and infrastructure on the farm site. The Farming and Site team includes two other staff, the Farming Coordinator and the Site Coordinator, as well as a number of volunteers and work experience participants.
The position is for 24 hrs/week, which must include Thursdays. Occasional weekend work is required (penalty rates paid). Timing of working hours can be flexible according to season and farm requirements. This position may be physically demanding at times and requires a person who is fit, energetic, and flexible.
- Ensure that the Farm site is managed according to Permaculture and organic principles.
- Manage Farming Team staff.
- Coordinate the recruitment and training of volunteers and work experience participants for the Farming Team.
- Contribute to the planning and management of building and infrastructure construction projects as required
- Coordinate the development and management of farming enterprises, including the Market Garden and the allotments
- Organise and facilitate Farming Team meetings.
- Participate in monthly Whole Farm meetings.
- Report monthly, and be answerable, to the Management Committee, and attend every third Management Committee meeting.
- Prepare and manage budgets and be accountable for any team related cash handling systems.
- Contribute to the development, enactment, and review of key policy documents to guide activities on the Farm.
- Extensive experience in organic gardening and/or farming, preferably in a diverse, integrated, permaculture context in the sub-tropics.
- Management experience and skills, including planning, budgeting, financial management, team building, staff coordination, volunteer supervision, meeting facilitation and conflict resolution.
- Hold a Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) or be willing to acquire one.
- Willingness to have a criminal background check and obtain a blue card.
- Hold a current first aid certificate or be willing to acquire one.
- Current drivers’ licence.
- Experience working in community or volunteer organisations.
- Building construction and maintenance experience.
- Project management skills.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria. (maximum 100 words each).
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees.
- Applications are due by 5pm on Tuesday 28 September 2021
- Proposed start date is early October 2021
- For further information, please contact the Farm Manager on (07) 3857 8775 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
- Hard copies may be sent to:Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030