Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Farm Coordinator
Hours: 20 hours per week ( working days to be negotiated)
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Level 3, $26.10 /hr, plus entitlements
Contract Position: Temporary part time (Approx. 1 year contract)
Responsible to: Farming Manager
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site, established kitchen and market gardens, City Farm Nursery as well as orchards and woodlot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Farmers Market. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
- Work with the Farming Team Manager to coordinate development of the market garden and micro-greens production into commercially productive enterprises.
- Assist with other Farm based enterprises and activities as required.
- Carry out infrastructure maintenance, including standing in for the Site Co-ordinator as required
- Work with Farming Manager to develop and implement a market garden plan.
- Coordinate maintenance of the market garden in accordance with the market garden plan and the Soil Contamination Operational Plan.
- Train and supervise volunteers and Work Experience participants in the market garden.
- Document inputs and outputs from the market garden enterprise
- Organise the harvest of and selling of produce through the NSCF City Farm Nursery and the proposed farm gate stall.
- Eventual coordination of delivery of farm produce to local businesses (dependent upon NSCF acquiring a farm ute).
- Develop and maintain systems for the efficient harvesting and use of rainwater in the market garden area.
- Program and repair automated irrigation systems, as required.
- Maintain gardening tools.
- Work with the Site Co-ordinator to ensure the health and safety of people working in the market garden and other farming activities.
- Provide First Aid as required. Complete incident reports and record materials used from First Aid kits.
- Report fortnightly to Farming Team Manager
- Participate in monthly meetings.
- At least 3 years’ experience in organic gardening and or farming.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining equipment and infrastructure associated with gardening / farming (e.g. irrigation systems).
- People management skills including demonstrated volunteer coordination experience.
- Experience working in community / volunteer organisations.
- Ability to work within an interdependent team structure.
- Construction white/blue card or willingness to acquire one.
- First Aid certificate or willingness to acquire one.
- Willingness to have a criminal background check.
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Permaculture design and implementation experience
- WH&S experience
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria. (200 words max). Please include photographs or links to your past work where relevant.
- Please also include a recent CV with at least two referees.
- For more information on the position, contact Farming Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are due by 4pm on Thursday 24 June 2021
- Proposed start date is early July 2021
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
The dominant way of life is unsustainable but by practicing Permaculture we can create an environmentally, socially and economically just world.
“All living sustainably”
Our purpose is to be an inspirational working model of a community-based urban permaculture farm which promotes and educates for sustainability.