We’re looking for a Nursery Co-ordinator who will be responsible for operating the City Farm Nursery making it a profitable enterprise that provides a service to the community through providing useful plants, information, and other permaculture resources.
Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Nursery Coordinator
Award: Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) Enterprise Agreement
Hours: 25 hours per week (The Nursery Coordinator will be required to work Sundays – penalty rates paid)
Pay rate: NSCF Enterprise Agreement Level 3, $26.89/hr, plus entitlements (e.g., leave, super) as defined in the NSCF Enterprise Agreement
Contract Position: Permanent Part-time
Responsible to: Enterprise & Support Manager
The Nursery Coordinator will be responsible for operating the City Farm Nursery making it a profitable enterprise that provides a service to the community through providing useful plants, information, and other permaculture resources.
The Nursery Coordinator should have experience working in a retail nursery and a passion for customer service, preferably with a practical working knowledge of Permaculture plants and their uses. This role will be responsible for supervising and developing volunteers to assist with the nursery retail and production.
The person should be willing to work with our community to meet the financial, social and environmental objectives of the Nursery. They will have initiative and be open to sharing their practical skills and experiences with a broad range of people.
- Manage the ordering, sales and stocktaking of all retail lines ensuring that stock is always available for sales.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with existing and new vendors and suppliers.
- Maintain a Point of Sale & inventory management system for the retail operations.
- Maintain a safe and welcoming retail space with appropriate visual merchandising
- Implement and contribute to the development of a marketing plan for the Nursery.
- Build a loyal customer base, providing outstanding customer service.
- Supervise and develop Nursery volunteers, staff, and students to meet the operational needs of the Nursery.
- Develop, implement, and document processes and procedures for the retail Nursery.
- Ensure Nursery resources and equipment are maintained and in good working order.
- Liaise with the Education & Farming Manager to produce plants for retail.
- Provide the Enterprise & Support Manager with financial and operational reports.
- Monitor the Nursery budget ensuring the financial goals remain on track.
- Maintain any certifications as directed by the Enterprise & Support Manager.
- Actively participate in relevant meetings.
- Work co-operatively with the Enterprise & Support Manager, other enterprises, and teams at the Farm.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Selection Criteria)
- Qualifications and training in horticulture.
- Supervisory and leadership skills
- Demonstrated experience in retail nursery operations and management
- A working knowledge of plants and other elements used in permaculture including their requirements and uses.
- Experience in customer service, cash handling, stock control, Point of Sale & inventory management systems and other administrative tasks required in a retail setting.
- Excellent communication and writing skills, including on social media.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing marketing strategies and plans
- Problem solving skills as they relate to retail nursery operations
- Permaculture Design Course or willingness to acquire one.
- Experience in working in community organisations.
- Current First Aid Certificate or willingness to acquire one.
This position may be physically demanding at times and requires a person who is fit, energetic, and flexible.
Northey Street City Farm is a non-profit community project on the banks of Brisbane’s Breakfast Creek in the inner city suburb of Windsor. It has been developed for people to enjoy and participate in using the principles of Permaculture. It is also intended to be a demonstration site where people of all ages can learn through practical, hands on experience.
NSCF Vision: All living sustainably
NSCF Purpose: Our purpose is to be an inspirational working model of a community-based urban permaculture farm which promotes and educates for sustainability.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply. Northey Street City Farm is proactively building meaningful relationships and programs with First Nations people in all its activities.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees
- Applications are due 4pm Tuesday 28 February 2023
- Proposed start date is early March 2023.
- For further information, please contact the Belinda Kau on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
www.nscf.org.au Phone: 07-38578775 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org