Do you have experience in a retail nursery and a passion for customer service, preferably with a practical working knowledge of Permaculture plants and their uses as well as managing people (staff and volunteers)?
Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Nursery Coordinator
Hours: 22.5 hours per week (required to work weekends – penalty rates paid )
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Level 3, $26.49 /hr, plus entitlements
Contract Position: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Enterprise Manager
The Nursery Coordinator will be responsible for operating the City Farm Nursery making it a profitable enterprise that provides a service to the community through providing useful plants and other permaculture resources. The Nursery Coordinator should have experience in a retail nursery and a passion for customer service, preferably with a practical working knowledge of Permaculture plants and their uses. This role will be responsible for supervising and developing volunteers to assist with the nursery retail and production. The person will ideally be reliable, passionate about plants and customers, an enthusiastic self-starter who is willing to work with our community to meet the financial, social and environmental objectives of the nursery. They will have initiative and be open to sharing their practical skills and experiences with a broad range of people.
- Manage the ordering, sales and stocktaking of all retail lines ensuring that stock is always available for sales.
- Monitor the nursery budget ensuring the financial goals remain on track.
- Maintain a Point of Sale & inventory management system for the retail operations.
- Provide the Enterprise Manager with financial and operational reports.
- Maintain a welcoming retail space with appropriate visual merchandising and to OHS standards.
- Develop, implement and maintain a knowledge base of processes and procedures for the retail nursery.
- Implement and contribute to the development of a marketing plan for the nursery.
- Build a loyal customer base, providing outstanding customer service.
- Supervise and develop nursery volunteers, staff and students to meet the operational needs of the nursery.
- Liaise with the Farm & Site Manager to produce plants for retail.
- Maintain any agreed certifications as directed by the Enterprise Manager.
- Ensure Nursery resources and equipment are maintained and in good working order.
- Actively participate in relevant meetings.
- Work co-operatively with the Enterprise Manager, other enterprises and teams at the farm.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Selection Criteria)
- Qualifications and training in horticulture.
- Demonstrated experience in retail nursery operations.
- A working knowledge of plants and other elements used in permaculture design including their requirements and uses.
- Experience in customer service, cash handling, stock control and other administrative tasks required in a retail setting.
- Experience in the use of Point of Sale & inventory management systems
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Demonstrated experience in implementing marketing strategies and plans
- Problem solving skills as they relate to retail nursery operations
- Supervisory and leadership skills
- Permaculture Design Certificate
- Experience in working in community – based organisations.
This position may be physically demanding at times and requires a person who is fit, energetic, and flexible.
Northey Street City Farm is a non-profit community project on the banks of Brisbane’s Breakfast Creek in the inner city suburb of Windsor. It has been developed for people to enjoy and participate in using the principles of Permaculture. It is also intended to be a demonstration site where people of all ages can learn through practical, hands on experience.
NSCF Vision: All living sustainably
NSCF Purpose: Our purpose is to be an inspirational working model of a community-based urban permaculture farm which promotes and educates for sustainability.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees
- Applications are due 4pm Thursday 29 July 2021.
- Proposed start date is early August 2021.
- For further information, please contact the Desi Achilleos on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030