Northey Street City Farm
Permaculture in the Heart of Brisbane, Australia
Position: Market Coordinator
Award: Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) Staff Agreement – permanent part time
Hours: 15 hours per week (The applicant will be required to work some Sundays)
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Level 3, $25.33p/hr, and entitlements as defined in the NSCF Staff Agreement
Contract Position: Permanent Part-time
Responsible to: Enterprise Manager
Northey Street City Farm is a non-profit community project on the banks of Brisbane’s Breakfast Creek in the inner – city suburb of Windsor. It has been developed for people to enjoy and participate in using the principles of Permaculture. It is also intended to be a demonstration site where people of all ages can learn through practical, hands on experience.
Purpose of Position
The Market Coordinator will be responsible for operating all markets on the NSCF site making them profitable enterprises that provide a service to the community through the availability of organic and local ethically produced products. The role will be responsible to ensure that market operations remain within budget as provided by the Enterprise Manager. This role will be expected to coordinate the application process, grow all markets through the ongoing sourcing of appropriate stallholders, implement a marketing plan and stallholder mix that ensures that market income remains on target and develop new markets. Maintaining excellent stallholder relationships will be a key aspect of the role.
The Market Coordinator should be an enterprising individual with excellent communication and people management skills, with a sound understanding of local food systems, Organic Certification requirements, and the ability to manage a successful Market.
The Market Coordinator should have a passion for the business of markets, preferably with a practical working knowledge of market business development and marketing. This role will be responsible for supervising and developing staff and volunteers to assist with the markets. The successful candidate will ideally be reliable, passionate about markets and customers, an enthusiastic self-starter who is willing to work with our community to meet the financial, social and environmental objectives of the Enterprise Team. This person will have initiative and be open to sharing their practical skills and experiences with a broad range of people.
- Coordinate the market budget ensuring the financial goals remain on track
- Provide the Enterprise Manager with financial, and management information and advice.
- Coordinate the finances of the markets, ensuring good debt management processes, keeping good and accurate records
- Implement and contribute to the development of the markets and market mix, keeping abreast of trends in the organic and farmers market space
- Implement and contribute to the development of a marketing plan for the markets.
- Build a loyal stallholder base, providing outstanding service to the stallholders
- Supervise and develop volunteers and staff to meet the operational needs of the markets.
- Ensure Market resources and equipment are maintained and in good working order
- Liaise with the Farm Manager to develop and implement health and safety policies and procedures related to the market.
- Oversee stallholder application process.
- Ensure the Markets creates a stallholder and customer experience that enables the vision of the Markets to be met
- Actively participate in relevant meetings and community decision-making processes.
- Work co-operatively with other enterprises and teams at the farm.
- Develop, implement and maintain a knowledge base of processes and procedures for the Markets
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in organic and/or farmers market coordination or hospitality or events
- Experience in customer service and administration
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Supervisory and leadership skills
- Computer skills, in particular database management
- Events management or hospitality industry certificate
- Experience in working in community based organisations.
This position may be physically demanding at times and requires a person who is fit, energetic, and flexible.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100words each)
- Please also include a CV with two referees.
- Applications are due by 4pm 30 August 2018
- For further information please contact Georgia on 0415 218 519.
- Please submit application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org