….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
First Nations Engagement Co-ordinator
Position: First Nations Engagement Co-ordinator
Award: NSCF Staff Agreement– Project part time (5-month contract)
Hours: 15 hours per week with additional tour or teaching hours as required
Salary: NSCF Staff Agreement Level 3 ($25.71 perhour, plus entitlements) as defined in the NSCF Staff Agreement (Note – additional teaching hours will be remunerated separately).
Responsible to: Education & Support Team Manager
Work Location: Northey Street City Farm, Windsor, Brisbane.
This vacancy is open only to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants, reflecting our commitment to Northey Street City Farm’s Decolonisation Action Plan and in line with the Equal Employment Opportunity (Commonwealth Authorities) Act 1987.
The First Nations Engagement Coordinator should have extensive knowledge of local First Nations issues and culture; have the ability to build relationships with local First Nations organisations and individuals; be an effective communicator; and have the ability to develop and deliver engaging educational programs for First Nations people and the wider public at the Farm.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through practical, hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood-lot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Sunday Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
Role & Responsibilities:
This position is an opportunity for an enthusiastic person to share appropriate Indigenous knowledges with First Nation communities and the general community, in the context of NSCF’s goals. The following points are some of the means we see as leading to those goals.
- Evaluate and strengthen NSCF’s current programs’ First Nations cultural content, including participation in adult and youth education programs.
- Develop and implement a pilot program that will build respect for First Nations cultures in the broader community, in consultation with staff, our Decolonisation Action Group and our advisory group.
- Develop and implement a pilot workshop that will benefit First Nations communities, in consultation with staff, our Decolonisation Action Group and our First Nations partners.
- Build partnerships with First Nations organisations.
- Work with the First Nations Advisory Group and the Decolonisation Action Group to optimise First Nations people’s involvement at NSCF.
- Work with the Education & Support Team Manager to develop and distribute promotional material at various events, both on and off site.
- Attend monthly Education and Support Team meetings as required and report to Education & Support Team Manager monthly.
- Liaise with the other Farm staff about requirements for courses and workshops.
- Liaise externally with interested organisations to promote and develop the NSCF Program.
- Knowledge of local First Nations organisations, issues and culture.
- Ability to build networks of support and involvement.
- Knowledge of native plants and their uses, or willingness to acquire.
- Project organising experience.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills, including public speaking and/or teaching.
- A current Queensland “Blue Card” (Working with Children Check) or a willingness to obtain one.
- Experience working in community organisations.
- Permaculture design, implementation or gardening experience.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (approx. 100words each).
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees.
- Applications are due close of business Tuesday 3 September 2019
- Proposed start date is late – September 2019.
- For further info, please contact Ronni Martin: email@example.com.
- Please submit application electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030.
Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
PH 07- 38578775 EMAIL: email@example.com