We demonstrate Permaculture and organic principles and practices on our 2.5 Ha inner city demonstration farm. The Farm is used for education, through our workshops and tours, as well as for food production.
Local food growing
We produce vegetables and herbs in a range of different ways:
- market garden
- container growing in the small-space garden
- a variety of raised beds in the kitchen garden
- herb spiral
- banana circle
Visit the Allotment Gardens Page for how to hire an allotment at NSCF.
Trees, trees and more trees
Explore this lush oasis in the heart of the city, and find:
- a native bush food forest
- tropical and subtropical fruit trees
- a cabinet timber woodlot
- a variety of bamboos
- a riverine rainforest and walking trail along Breakfast Creek.
Green Waste Recycling Center
We use giant compost tumblers, a three-bay compost piles and compost bins to create nutritious compost to keep our plants healthy.
Worm farms also convert organic waste into a valuable resource by providing liquid and solid fertilisers.
We integrate animals into the farm ecosystem:
- Worm farms
- Frog ponds
- Wildlife, including lizards, native bees, possums and brush turkeys.
- Bushfoods for permaculture gardens and farms in the sub-tropics
- Seasonal vegetable growing in the humid subtropics