Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Education and Farming Manager
Hours: 30 hours per week
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Manager Level, $ 30.00 per hour, plus entitlements, which include superannuation, annual leave, personal leave and training allowance.
Contract Position: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Management Committee
The Education and Farming Manager should have a background in management, preferably in the community / not-for-profit / social enterprise sector. The person will possess high level communication skills to interact effectively with people both internal and external to the organisation. They should have a working knowledge of community-based education and experience in Permaculture or organic gardening. They will be experienced in both managing day-to-day operations and driving medium-term strategic directions.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms – a Permaculture site on 2 Ha with established kitchen and market gardens, orchards and woodlot, plus a nursery and Brisbane’s only Organic Farmers’ Market. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
The Education and Farming Manager’s role is to oversee and coordinate the Education and Farming team, which coordinates all education programs provided by NSCF and manages all gardens, orchards, bush revegetation, animal systems, buildings, grounds and infrastructure on the farm site. The manager is also jointly responsible, with the Enterprise and Support manager, for the operational management of the whole organisation. The Education and Farming team staff currently includes the Site Coordinator, the Adult Education Coordinator and the Youth Education Coordinator, as well as casual employees, contractors, volunteers and work experience participants.
The position is for 30 hrs/week, which must include Thursdays. Occasional weekend work is required. Timing of working hours can be flexible according to season and farm requirements. This position may be physically demanding at times and requires a person who is fit, energetic, and flexible.
● Manage staff and volunteers within the Education and Farming Team, including developing annual work plans and setting performance targets.
● Oversee the recruitment, training, allocation and support of volunteers and work experience participants for the whole Farm.
● Oversee the development and delivery of educational programs
● Oversee the planning, construction and management of the gardens, orchards, buildings, grounds and infrastructure, in accordance with Permaculture and organic principles.
● Liaise with Brisbane City Council on leasing and site related issues.
● Prepare and manage the team’s budget and be accountable for any team-related cash handling systems.
● Contribute to the development, enactment, and review of key policy documents to guide activities on the Farm.
● Meet with the other manager (Enterprise and Support) twice-monthly to ensure harmonious co-management of whole-of-farm issues.
● Report monthly, and be answerable, to the Management Committee, and participate in monthly Whole of Farm meetings.
● Management experience and skills, preferably in a social enterprise or community organisation, including planning, budgeting, financial management, team building, staff coordination, volunteer supervision, meeting facilitation and conflict resolution.
● Demonstrated success in recruiting, involving, and supporting volunteers.
● Experience of delivering or coordinating education programs.
● Experience in organic gardening or farming, preferably in the subtropics.
● Hold a Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC) or be willing to acquire one.
● Willingness to have a criminal background check and to obtain a Working with Children blue card.
● Hold a current First Aid certificate or be willing to acquire one.
● Current drivers’ licence
● Experience of working or volunteering in community organisations
● Project management skills.
● Skills and experience in OH&S practices.
• Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
• Please also include a CV with at least two referees
• Applications are due 4pm Friday 27 January 2023.
• Proposed start date is mid – February 2023.
• For further information, please contact Ronni Martin on firstname.lastname@example.org or on (07) 3857 8775 (Tues – Thurs)
• Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
Hard copies may be sent to: Education and Farming Manager Application, Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
Phone: (07) 3857 8775 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.nscf.org.au