Position: Farming Coordinator
Hours: 15 hours per week (working days to be negotiated)
Pay rate: NSCF Enterprise Agreement Coordinator Level 3, $27.29 per hour plus entitlements
Responsible to: Education and Farming Manager
The Farming Coordinator should be a resourceful individual with a strong history of gardening and/or farming as well as managing people (staff and volunteers), in addition to some Permaculture experience.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a not-for-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site, established kitchen and market gardens, City Farm Nursery as well as orchards and woodlot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Farmers Market. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
- Work with the Education and Farming Manager to coordinate development of the market garden, composting hub, and other farming projects into commercially productive enterprises.
- Assist with other Farm-based enterprises and activities as required (additional paid work hours and are available for some activities).
- Coordinate development and maintenance of the market garden in accordance with the market garden plan and the Soil Contamination Operational Plan.
- Train and supervise volunteers in the NSCF farming and composting enterprises.
- Document inputs and outputs from farming enterprises.
- Organize the harvest of and selling of produce through a range of customers, liaise with new and existing customers and develop products for sale.
- Coordinate delivery of produce to customers, and the collection of green waste material for the composting hub.
- Program and repair automated irrigation systems, as required.
- Maintain gardening tools.
- Work with the Site Coordinator to ensure the health and safety of people working in the market garden and other farming activities.
- Report fortnightly to the Education and Farming Manager
- Participate in monthly meetings.
Benefits of working at NSCF
- Annual training budget of $500.
- Bonus leave between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day (additional to 4 weeks annual leave).
- Opportunities to participate in NSCF courses and programs at reduced prices.
- Opportunities for additional casual work in other farm activities.
- Free morning tea and lunch Tuesday-Thursday.
- Experience in organic gardening and / or farming in the sub-tropics.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining equipment and infrastructure associated with gardening / farming (e.g. irrigation systems).
- People management skills, including demonstrated volunteer coordination experience.
- Experience in training others in permaculture, sustainability or farming, with demonstrated verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in community / volunteer organisations.
- Ability to work within an interdependent team structure.
- Current Driver’s Licence.
- Permaculture design and implementation experience.
- Skills in social enterprise or small eco-business development and /or connections with local hospitality businesses and understanding of cafe/restaurant needs.
- WH&S experience.
- Own car that you are willing to use for deliveries and pick-ups (costs covered by NSCF).
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria individually (100 words max for each criteria). Photographs or links to your past work may be included where relevant.
- Applications that do not do this will not be considered
- Please also include a recent CV with at least two referees.
- First Nations people are encouraged to apply.
- For more information on the position, contact the Education and Farming Manager on email@example.com.
- Applications are due by 4pm on Thursday 15 February 2024
- Proposed start is late February / early March 2024
- Please submit applications electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org