Position: Enterprise Manager
Hours: 20 hours per week (including Thursdays, occasional Sundays)
Pay rate: NSCF Enterprise Agreement Manager Level – $27.63 per hour, plus entitlements as defined in the NSCF Enterprise Agreement.
Contract: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Management Committee
The Enterprise Manager (EM) will be an enterprising individual with demonstrated experience in enterprise management, as well as a strong history of managing people (staff and volunteers), projects and events. This is an opportunity to use your skills, networks and experience to help us develop the Farm through growing new and existing sources of revenue.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a Permaculture site, established kitchen and market gardens, City Farm Nursery as well as orchards and wood-lot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Farmers Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
The Enterprise Manager role is responsible for overseeing and coordinating the management and development of the farm’s enterprises. The Enterprise Team plays a key role in supporting and improving the financial sustainability and viability of the Farm.
- Oversee and coordinate the management of the Farm’s existing enterprises, which include the City Farm Nursery and Organic Farmer’s Market.
- Manage delivery of NSCF events such as the Winter Solstice Festival.
- Manage and oversee the development of new income generating activities for the Farm.
- Contribute technical expertise and support to other teams as needed.
- Manage human and financial resources of the Enterprises to ensure the financial sustainability of NSCF.
- Supervise and monitor the performance of the Enterprise Coordinators, including developing annual work plans and setting performance targets.
- Support the Enterprise Coordinators in their role in leading and supervising other staff and volunteers working within the Enterprises.
- Examine, develop and implement opportunities, in consultation with relevant NSCF staff, for the development and expansion of the Farm’s Enterprises or other income generation opportunities.
- Prepare and manage Enterprise Team budgets, in consultation with the Enterprise Coordinators and be accountable for the profitability of farm enterprises and events.
- Ensure appropriate business systems are in place for recording, monitoring and evaluating the various aspects of the Enterprises.
- Develop and implement marketing plans for the Enterprises in consultation with the Education and Support Team Manager.
- Coordinate cash security and banking in conjunction with Enterprise Coordinators and the Finance Officer.
- Manage human and financial resources to deliver a cost neutral program of NSCF events.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings and fortnightly Managers meetings.
- Provide monthly reports to the Management Committee.
- Organise regular meetings of the Enterprise Teams.
As a member of the Managers Group the Enterprise Manager is also responsible, with other Managers, to
- Guide and enable the growth of the NSCF culture
- Monitor integration of NSCF’s plans & strategy into Team and individual work plans
- Ensure organisation outcomes & strategy are being attained
- Prioritise delivery of planned work.
- Manage compliance and risk.
- Develop themselves and the people within the organisation.
- Provide support and advice to each other in their role as Managers.
- Demonstrated experience and ability to manage profitable enterprises or other income generating activities.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a team and managing staff.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, resolve conflict, and lead and facilitate meetings.
- Demonstrated budget development and financial management skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainability and social enterprise.
- Willingness to have a criminal background check.
- Experience of managing a social enterprise, nursery and/or farmers’ market.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, Permaculture.
- Marketing or promotions experience.
- Ability to design an innovative events program.
- Experience working in community / volunteer organisations.
- First Aid certificate or willingness to acquire one.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees
- Applications are due by 4pm on Tuesday 18 July 2017
- Proposed start date is late July.
- For further info on the position, please contact Mel Marx on 3857 8775
Please submit application electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hard copies may be sent to: Enterprise Manager Application, Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
The dominant way of life is unsustainable but by practicing Permaculture we can create an environmentally, socially and economically just world.
“All living sustainably”
Our purpose is to be an inspirational working model of a community-based urban permaculture farm which promotes and educates for sustainability.
Phone: (07) 3857 8775 Fax: (07) 3857 8108
More from our site
Share this page on social Media!