Position: Green Army Program Supervisor
Hours: 22.5 hours per week, part time. This involves 3 days per week, generally on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, but may involve some Wednesdays by negotiation.
Commencement: Tuesday 22 March 2011, for 26 weeks
Salary: $25.00 per hour, plus entitlements (as defined in the NSCF Staff Agreement)
Responsible to: Project Coordinator
Work Location: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor 4030. Some work on bush regeneration sites nearby and travel for group excursions will be required
Please note: This position of Project Supervisor (22.5 hrs/wk) is being concurrently advertised with the positions of Project Coordinator (5 hrs per week) and Permaculture Trainer (15 hours per week). People may apply for one or more of these positions. Further details on these roles and about the Green Army (Skilling Queenslanders for Work) can be found on the NSCF website www.nscf.org.au
- Supervise a group of twelve unemployed people engaged in a Green Army (Skilling Queenslanders for Work) Permaculture Project at Northey Street City Farm (NSCF). Participants will be developing and maintaining a large section of the farm, including gardens, individual allotments, recreational areas, bush regeneration areas, orchards, animal pens, nursery and water infrastructure at NSCF. The work will involve landscaping and construction.
- Work with the Project Coordinator, Administrator and other staff in the planning, design, coordination, management, administration and implementation of the project.
- Work with the Project Trainer in delivering on-the-job training in Permaculture at Certificate 2 level of Accredited Permaculture Training Certificate (APT2).
- To provide on-the-job training for the participants in basic construction and horticultural practices, and in workplace health and safety.
- Work towards achieving the general aims of Northey Street City Farm Association Inc.
- Work with other workers, volunteers and members of the farm, as well as the existing Teams and Committees. This may require attendance at meetings out of hours.
- Work with other farm personnel in meeting farm needs, eg, gardens, site, kitchen, nursery, community.
- Administrative duties associated with the performance of the position’s specific duties
- Other duties as required
- Ability to relate well to a diverse range of people, including long-term unemployed
- Experience of supervising groups in outdoor work projects
- Permaculture gardening or farming experience
- Skills in construction and landscaping
- Ability to plan, develop, deliver, and evaluate projects
- Well-developed verbal and written communication skills
- A current ‘Blue Card’ (Working with Children suitability check), or readiness to submit an application
- Permaculture Training
- Experience of working in community organisations, especially community gardens
- Good computer skills, eg word processing, spreadsheets
Northey Street City Farm is a non-profit community project on the banks of Brisbane’s Breakfast Creek in the inner city suburb of Windsor. It has been developed for people to enjoy and participate in using the principles of Permaculture. It is also intended to be a demonstration site where people of all ages can learn through practical, hands on experience.
NSCF Mission Statement
We are a dynamic, creative and diverse city farm based on mutuality, innovation and environmental sustainability.
We aim to create a working model of a cooperative, community based, urban permaculture farm which demonstrates, promotes, educates, celebrates and advocates for environmental and economic sustainability in a healthy, diverse and supportive community.
- Applications should address each of the selection criteria
- Please also include a CV with at least two current referees
- All applications should be received by 4:00pm on Wednesday 9th March 2011
- Short-listed applicants will be notified by phone that evening, for interviews on Friday 11th or Saturday 12th March. The successful applicant will be notified by Monday 14th March
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com. Hard copies may be sent to Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria Street, Windsor, Qld. 4030
For further information please contact Kirsty at:
This project is funded by the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation’s Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiative.