Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Market Assistant
Award: Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) Staff Agreement
Hours: 8 hours per week (Sundays 4:30 am – 12:30 pm)
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Level 2. $21.63 per hour, excluding entitlements as defined in the NSCF Staff Agreement
Contract Position: Permanent part-time
Responsible to: Market Coordinator and Enterprise Manager
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farm; a certified Organic Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood-lot, plus Brisbane’s only Organic Sunday Farmers Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of Programs. Use your skills and experience to help us enhance our already successful and well established Market.
NSCF Mission Statement
We are a dynamic, creative and diverse city farm based on mutuality, innovation and environmental sustainability.
We aim to create a working model of a cooperative, community based, urban Permaculture farm which demonstrates, promotes, educates, celebrates and advocates for environmental and economic sustainability in a healthy, diverse and supportive community.
- Assist the Market Coordinator to operate the Northey Street Organic Farmers Market as an innovative, attractive and world class organic market supporting local food systems.
- Perform the market stall holders bump in and bump out procedures. Ensure the Market site is clean, set up and open for business by the agreed upon trading hours and left clean at the end of the day. This will involve some moderately heavy lifting, using a trolley to bring in chairs, tables and marquees.
- Ensure Market resources and equipment are maintained and in good working order.
- Ensure all health and safety policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Respond to accidents and incidents during market hours and complete appropriate reporting requirements.
- Assist with market waste minimisation including liaison with stallholders on market policies and stallholder conditions.
- Assist with cash handling and detailed record keeping.
- Maintain and update the stallholder database to provide information relating to stallholders details and Organic Certification, this includes an updated stall layout diagram
- Conduct regular audits of all stallholders according to the guidelines provided by the Market Coordinator, to ensure their Organic status complies with the requirements of the Australian Organic Certification standard, and ensure certification status is displayed on each stall
- Ensure fair and equitable distribution of space and services for stallholders as per the guidelines and terms & conditions.
- Attend to any complaint by the stallholders as it pertains to bump in and out procedures and refer other complaints to the Market Coordinator as appropriate.
- Maintain effective communication and relationships with all the stallholders
- Attend Enterprise Team meetings.
- Attend fortnightly Team Reps meetings as required.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team, but also to work independently and use initiative to respond to issues.
- Reliable and able to work regular Sunday shifts, including very early morning starts (4.30am).
- Ability to undertake tasks of a physical nature, for example some lifting, wheeling out full bins, packing down marquees.
- Understanding of the importance of local food systems
- Understanding of Organic Certification requirements
- People management skills including conflict resolution
- Experience working in community organisations with volunteers
- WH&S experience
- Please submit a written application that addresses the selection criteria (maximum 2 pages)
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees
- Applications are due close of business on Tuesday 19 January 2015
- For further information, please contact the Markets Co-ordinator, on 0423 448 616
- Please submit application electronically to: email@example.com
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
Phone: (07) 3857 8775
Fax: (07) 3857 8108