Northey Street City Farm
….. a place for learning about living sustainably in the city
Position: Farming Team Manager
Hours: 24 hours per week
Pay rate: NSCF Award Agreement Manager Level, $26.04 per hour excluding entitlements
Contract Position: Permanent part time
Responsible to: Management Committee
The Farming Team Manager should have a proven strong background in practical Permaculture and organic fruit and vegetable farming in the sub tropics, preferably having previously managed a team of people to develop a market garden or orchards. They should have demonstrable experience in both managing day-to-day farm operations as well as driving medium-term strategic and commercial directions.
Established in 1994, Northey Street City Farm (NSCF) is a non-profit community organisation for people of all ages and backgrounds to learn the principles of Permaculture through hands-on experience. Join an enthusiastic, passionate group of people to work on one of Australia’s largest city farms; a certified Organic Permaculture site on 6 acres, established kitchen and market gardens as well as orchards and wood lot, plus Brisbane’s only certified Organic Markets. NSCF is also a community hub that facilitates the development of social connections and new skills for volunteers and participants in a variety of programs.
- Manage and maintain all gardens, orchards and bush revegetation areas using Permaculture principles and practices
- Manage staff and volunteers within the Farming Team
- Plan, schedule and manage food production at the Farm.
- Contribute technical expertise and support other teams as needed
- Develop the Farm to enhance its reputation as a resilient community asset
- Work 24 hrs/week which must include Thursdays. Periodic weekend work is required. Timing of working hours can be flexible according to season and farm requirements.
- Manage all farm zones according to Permaculture and Organic principles
- Develop, implement and record schedules for seasonal planting, maintaining, harvesting, storing, preserving and selling of food and other Farm crops.
- Manage the integration of food production and provisioning activities to meet the requirements of the kitchen for community lunches & preserving Farm produce.
- Manage staff and volunteers in the Farming Team.
- Coordinate management of the animals and of the green waste and composting systems
- Work with the Site Manager to maintain farming infrastructure, tools and the workshop
- Work with the Nursery to save seed and propagate for planting.
- Work with the Education Coordinator to provide living demonstrations of permaculture principles and practices.
- Coordinate, manage and develop farming enterprises, including the NSCF Market stall and the allotments
- Maintain organic certification of the farm, including maintaining current organic management plan and farm operating procedures
- Organise and facilitate Farming Team meetings
- Participate in fortnightly Team Reps meetings
- Report monthly to the Management Committee
- Prepare and manage budgets and be accountable for any team related cash handling systems
- Contribute to the development, enactment and review of key policy documents to guide activities on the Farm
- Extensive experience in organic gardening and/or farming in the sub-tropics
- People management and communication skills, including conflict resolution and team-building, and the ability to supervise volunteers and to facilitate meetings.
- Ability to work within an interdependent team structure
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets
- Hold a Permaculture Design Certificate (PDC)
- Willingness to have a criminal background check
- Hold a current first aid certificate or be willing to acquire one
- Experience of managing a community garden or farm in a diverse, integrated, permaculture context
- Training and experience in advanced Permaculture design and implementation.
- Experience working in community or volunteer organisations
- Project management skills
- Skills and experience in WH&S practices.
- Applications must address each of the selection criteria (maximum 100 words each)
- Please also include a CV with at least two referees
- Applications are due close of business Tuesday 2 February 2016.
- Proposed start date is mid – February 2015.
- For further information, please contact the Farm on 3857 8775
- Please submit application electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hard copies may be sent to: Northey Street City Farm, 16 Victoria St, Windsor, 4030
NSCF Mission Statement
We are a dynamic, creative and diverse city farm based on mutuality, innovation and environmental sustainability.
We aim to create a working model of a cooperative, community based, urban Permaculture farm which demonstrates, promotes, educates, celebrates and advocates for environmental and economic sustainability in a healthy, diverse and supportive community.
Phone: (07) 3857 8775 Fax: (07) 3857 8108 Email: email@example.com